Friday, November 7, 2014

Les Misérables Nails

¡Hola chicas! Today I have some Broadway-inspired nail art for y'all. My all-time favorite show is Les Misérables. The music is absolutely wonderful! My favorite songs from it change daily, but right now my favorite are On My Own, Master of the House, Red and Black, One Day More, and the Finale/Epilogue. 
I'm actually listening to One Day More now! 

Recently, I actually saw Les Mis on Broadway! It's come back since it was first shown years ago in 1985, and I got to see it! It was just as amazing as I thought it would be. The acting was fantastic, the set was awesome, and the music... *sigh* the music was just magical. Once the lights went on and the curtain closed after the show had finished, I sat in my seat for a good 5 minutes just thinking about it, and appreaciating the magical music. Once I brought myself back to reality, though, I went to get some autographs. ;) 

Before the show, I saw the movie, which I really liked! The music was great. Did you know that every song in the movie was sung right on set? No one did a recording! Amazing! Anne Hathaway was fabulous, I thought, and even though people said that Russel Crowe was awful, I really loved his voice! After I saw the movie, I created several Les Mis stations on Pandora Radio, and I listen to them every day! It's really nice to hear all different versions of the same soundtrack from different productions with different voices.

Obviously, for such an exciting occasion I had to do some Les Mis nail art! I used the cover of one of the albums I'd been looking at for months while listening to the music. This is what was on the playbill from the original production in 1985.


And here is what I came up with! 


On the pointer and pinky nails I created a black and white dry-brush. I started with a base of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On and then swiped an almost-dry brush of Sinful Colors Black on Black. These nails were created to imitate the black and white "scribbled" image of the girl (Cosette) on the original playbill. I then added a gold stud to the base of those nails from the Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Studs Kit using a dab of topcoat. This was to imitate the gold lettering on the playbill. Voila!

On the middle and ring nails I used diluted polish on a white base to imitate the smokey red and blue background on the playbill. First I started out with a white base (Sally Hansen White on White). Then, to create the smokey effect, I put a few drops of a dark red polish (Sinful Colors Race Rubber) onto a piece of tinfoil. Then, I added a few drops of acetone-based nail polish remover. Using a small flat paintbrush, I mixed these together to create a watered-down version of the red. Then, using that paintbrush, and dabbed this mixture onto the left thirds of my nails. I then cleaned my brush and repeated this with a dark blue polish (Essie Style Cartel) on the right thirds of my nails. Really, I did a bit more than one-third for each color, because I wanted there to be just a thin strip of white in the middle. It worked really well! The dilution of the colors made them a bit lighter than they are naturally, but it still turned out great, in my opinion. I love how well the smokey effect turned out! It looks just like the playbill to me.

I finished with topcoat, Essie Good to Go, and there you go! :)


My normal hand pose turned the colors upside down, but that's ok, because on the French flag it goes blue-white-red. Win-win!

Playbills are really a great source of inspiration for nail art! What is your favorite Broadway show? Do you like Les Mis? What's your favorite song? I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts in the comments! Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day! 

XOXO

Is

No comments:

Post a Comment